Dear Encore Creativity Singers,
We’ve been hard at work selecting pieces to make spring 2023 fun, exciting, and even a bit surprising! Now, we’re ready to share the repertoire for our Spring 2023 semester with you. For this season starting January 9, 2023, we will be singing:
- All the Way Home – Sarah Quartel
- Blue Skies – Irving Berlin, arr. Steve Zegree
- Bridge Over Troubled Water – arr. Kirby Shaw
- I See the Light – arr. Mac Huff
- My Very Own – Susan LaBarr
- Rise, Shine! – arr. Marques L.A. Garrett and Tom Trenney
- Shine the Light! – Raymond Wise
- These Things Shall Never Die – Mark Burrows
- Wake Me a Song – Victor C. Johnson
A note from Artistic Director Brian Fontaine-Isaac:
Themes of “love and light” shine through our uplifting Spring 2023 Encore Chorale programming.
From Sarah Quartel’s All the Way Home, celebrating friendship through singing, to Susan LaBarr’s My Very Own with its enduring message of love and commitment, and Raymond Wise’s Shine the Light!, a driving gospel-style work dedicated to the memory of the great Moses Hogan, our audiences are sure to see (and hear!) the joy in singing with Encore Creativity.
And, of course, I’ve included a few fabulous arrangements of popular tunes like Simon & Garfunkel’s Bridge Over Troubled Water (Kirby Shaw), Irving Berlin’s Blue Skies (Steve Zegree), and I See the Light from Disney’s animated feature ‘Tangled’ (Mac Huff), so there’s a little something for everyone this cycle!
Five of the nine octavos I selected for our spring programming are composed by women and/or composers of color, an important part of our continued efforts to ensure Encore Creativity represents the beautifully diverse communities in which we rehearse and perform.
I can’t wait to start learning this exciting music with you in the near year! Happy practicing!
- Africa – arr. Roger Emerson
- Daydream Believer – arr. Alan Billingsley
- Fantasy – arr. Mac Huff
- Hey, Good Lookin’ – arr. Jay Althouse
- If I Could Turn Back Time – arr. Eric Van Cleave
- Love Me Tender – arr. Roger Emerson
- Papa Oom Mow Mow – arr. Mac Huff
- This Magic Moment – arr. Mac Huff
- Yacht Rock! (Smooth Sounds of the ’70s and ’80s) – arr. Roger Emerson
A Note from ROCKS Director Jeff Dokken:
For the Spring 2023 Encore ROCKS repertoire, we will Turn Back Time, as we journey through Africa. We’ll live out our Fantasy as we Oom Mow Mow to the Smooth Sounds of the 70’s and 80’s. We’ll indulge in This Magic Moment as we allow ourselves to become a Daydream Believer. I think you’ll Love Me Tender for all of the great music you will get to sing this session. So in closing, allow me to invite you to join us this season by saying; Hey, Good Lookin, don’t miss out on another exciting session of Encore ROCKS!
Sentimental Journey Singers
- Blue Moon – arr. Roger Emerson
- Help! – arr. Alan Billingsley
- Sentimental Journey – arr. Hawley Ades
- Simple Gifts – arr. Steve Kupferschmid
- The Lion Sleeps Tonight – arr. Roger Emerson
A Note from Director of Arts for Life Dr. Mary Ann East:
Journey through the 60s with us as we move and groove to Help! from The Beatles and Blue Moon by The Marcels. We’ll “wim-oh-weh” the night away singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight. We will also celebrate our gratitude with Steve Kupferschmid’s arrangement of the Shaker song, Simple Gifts and, of course, our signature piece, Sentimental Journey.